Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Why Pageants?

"When did you start doing pageants?"
"Why did you start doing pageants?"
"Oh... so it's just like Toddlers and Tiaras right?"

People are fascinated by the world of pageants- don't worry I completely understand. Pageantry is one of the coolest things I have ever been involved with and here's why:
  1. Geography- I can name at least 200 cities in California simply because I know girls living in hundreds of cities across the golden state. You want to know how to pronounce Tehachapi? I got your back.
  2. Ability to answer any question on the spot- intelligently. Ask me anything and I can most likely pull together a clear, concise, and memorable answer in less than 15 seconds (thanks interview!)
  3. Shoes- When I started pageants a year ago, I had one pair of heels. Now I have... well a lot more than one pair (;
I can also run on very little sleep, know how to put on false eyelashes in 30 seconds, and can sing the alphabet backwards. Obviously, pageantry has set me up for success.

But seriously, pageants have made a huge difference in my life. I have a job now that I landed through my interview skills. During a recent community service project, I was able to communicate effectively with the adult volunteers and make some valuable connections. It's only fitting to go wayyy back to April 2012, my first pageant ever, and go through my pageantry journey to explain how I am where I am today.

First of all, I love performing. From the days of ballet classes, cheesy children's musical theatre shows, and three hour long piano recitals, my favorite feeling in the world has always been stepping up onstage, swallowing my nerves, and giving the performance of a lifetime.

Second, I am passionate. So when I made the decision to compete in my first pageant at age 17, I threw myself in 100%. I only knew one person who had ever been involved in pageants, so I decided to compete in the one she had one a few years prior. Needless to say, it did not go as I planned. I made some silly mistakes that are more than common for first time pageant competitors.

As we pulled into the host hotel, I was more than confident that this was my pageant. I knew that I was smart, my dress was pretty, and I believed that no one wanted it more than me. However, I quickly learned that while my dress was pretty, everyone wanted it. Sure I had prepared, but had I watched past videos to learn about the competition? No. Had I asked a professional in the field what their advice was? No. I even wrote my introduction in the hotel room the day before I was set to present it. I was a hot mess- but I didn't know that at the time. It only hit me when I didn't make the top 30 out of 120 girls that I realized I had a LOT to learn about this world that was so new to me.

So as soon as I got home, filled with determination and passion, I began researching other pageants. That's when I found National American Miss. The areas of competition were right up my alley: personal introduction, interview, formal wear, and community service. I signed myself up and went straight to work.

This time around, I did a few more things right. I studied the pageant, watched videos on YouTube, and took notes on previous winners. I spent hours formulating the perfect introduction, practicing interview questions, and nailing my formal wear walk. I even hired a professional in the field to help me, Beezie Chapman. The only way to get better at pageants is with time, and her many years of experience aided me tremendously in my journey towards the crown.

I walked into NAM that first year with my head held high- I felt confident and ready to go. That weekend was beyond fun. (With Megan, Brian, and the Tacketts, you can never go wrong!) I walked away with tons of new friends and a new fascination for pageantry. I also won the Spokesmodel competition, and placed 4th runner up to the queen! As my mom and I bawled after the crowning ceremony, I understood what I was feeling- success.

Fast forward to this year. I spent the entire summer preparing for NAM. I spent hours practicing interview questions and rehearsing my personal introduction. However, my edge was that I did not simply rehearse the areas of competition. I lived out the message of National American Miss to prepare myself for the job I wanted- the job of Miss California Teen. I spent even more time with the philanthropies that I loved- I even got more involved with Relay for Life San Ramon as a team captain and committee member. I spent time with my brothers because I knew that this school year is going to be different and I won't have the chance to come home every day and see them. Most of all, I focused my energy on becoming a positive role model for the young girls in my life.

When pageant weekend came around, I was ready. I walked into the pageant and immediately felt at home among NAM's welcoming staff, the choreographers, and the fellow contestants. That weekend I competed in both Spokesmodel and Talent, and was thrilled to make Top 5 in both optional competitions.

Pageants are the perfect place for competitive people. No, not the competition you would imagine. There are no catfights in the dressing room or sabotaging by other girls. No- this pageant was all about competing with myself. I wanted to perform better each time I walked onstage. I wanted to be my very best me. It was the same for the other girls. We were all there to support each other and be supported.

Realistically there were only about 10 minutes between the time my name was called for top 10 and my name was called as the winner- but it felt like a lifetime. I was so nervous I had to remind myself to breathe. After I won, I was so excited I almost passed out. My mom actually fell off the stage as she was coming to congratulate me. My friends were cheering and crying and I couldn't believe the blessing that had just been granted to me.

As I prepare for Nationals this November, I am constantly reminded of the most important thing I have learned through pageants- and that is the value of being myself. The judges are brilliant people- they know when you are being fake, and that's why pageant titleholders are genuine girls. I am stronger now than I was when my pageant journey began, because now I can express who I am on a stage in front of hundreds.

Pageants aren't easy. They are actually the most challenging, tiring, and demanding things I have ever done. Going into something and believing that there is only one winner is hard- putting your heart into anything is hard. But the rewards are so great and I realize how blessed I am to have this opportunity as Miss California Teen. Everything happens for a reason, and now I know my reason. Thank you NAM for all the opportunities you have given me and girls across the nation. I am so grateful.


Thanks for reading!
Xoxo,
Jane Kennedy
NAM Miss California Teen 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment