Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Super Stars Literacy Book Delivery

Today, we delivered more than 350 books to Super Stars Literacy in Oakland. This organization sends volunteers into city schools to encourage literacy and a love of reading in elementary school students. I was first introduced to Super Stars six years ago, when my mom invited me to volunteer at one of their after school events. I fell in love with their mission of service, and I love working with their friendly and enthusiastic volunteers.

We dropped off the books during training week, where 30 volunteers are getting ready to spend the year as advocates for Super Stars in schools all over the city. They were so grateful to receive our donations and were overwhelmed with how many books we had brought in. They even showed me their team cheer! I felt so welcome by their staff and I was more than happy to have chosen them as the recipient for the book donations. 







I hope to return to Super Stars soon and serve as an advocate for their mission of promoting literacy!

For more information on Super Stars, including how to get involved, check out: http://www.superstarsliteracy.org/

Thanks for reading!
Xoxo,
Jane Kennedy
NAM Miss California Teen 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment